[Libvir] CPU pinning of domains at creation time

Saori Fukuta fukuta.saori at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Oct 12 10:59:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:12:13 -0400 Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 05:02:11PM +0900, Saori Fukuta wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:00:14 -0400 Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >    - for the mapping at the XML level I suggest to use a simple extension
> > >      to the <vcpu>n</vcpu> and extend it to
> > >      <vcpu cpuset='2,3'>n</vcpu>
> > >      with a limited syntax which is just the comma separated list of
> > >      allowed CPU numbers (if the code actually detects such a cpuset is
> > >      in effect i.e. in general this won't be added).
> >
> > How about adding <cpus>2,3</cpus> to the XML simply ?
>
>   it's not any simpler. It's more complex because it adds a new element node
> in the XML. Moreover I don't expect taht information to be any more structured
> so it does not make sense to me to expose it as element content, plus
> <cpus> could be used in the future to describe fully structured informations
> so I don't think it makes sense to use it for just the cpuset.

Thanks for the explanation, I quoted the Xen-configuration (like cpus = "").
And that make sense to me !

> > And we may set 64 CPUs, it is hard to set all of them by each number.
> > (i.e. we have to set cpuset='1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,....,64')
> > So I hope to use - (range) and ^ (negation) to set cpuset as Ryan said.
>
>   On input why not. Do you have a complete description of the syntax
> you want to allow ?

Yeah, I was thinking about input. For output, your suggestion sounds
good. For input, I want to allow the following description of syntax.
(e.g.)
  input    : output
  0        : 0
  0-5      : 0,1,2,3,4,5