[Libvir] PATCH: Allow libvirtd configuration for QEMU VNC server

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sat Oct 13 02:52:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 03:44:18AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:52:13PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > The QEMU VNC server spawned by the QEMU driver in libvirt is hardcoded to
> > start off on 127.0.0.1, unless the person creating a guest overides this in
> > the XML passed to libvirt. If wanting to setup off-host VNC access, it is
> > much much more convenient to be able to set the system wide default to be
> > 0.0.0.0 than to specify 0.0.0.0 for each VM created.
> >
> > In addition, it is desirable to be able to configure use of TLS and x509
> > certificates for the VNC servers system wide.
> >
> > In Xen world this is already possible through the /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
> > configuration file.
> >
> > In QEMU world, libvirtd takes the place of XenD. The /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
> > file though is for the daemon as a whole. There is no config file for the
> > QEMU driver in libvirt itself. So this patch extends the QEMU driver to be
> > able to load /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf and configure a handful of options.
> >
> >   - vnc_listen = "0.0.0.0"   - the address for VNC to listen on. Defaults
> >                                to 127.0.0.1 for security sake
> >   - vnc_tls = 1              - turn on use of TLS extension
> >   - vnc_tls_x509_verify      - request client certificates for auth
> >   - vnc_tls_cert_dir         - the location of the VNC server certs.
> >                                Defaults to /etc/pki/libvirt-vnc
> >
> > The code for building command line args for the -vnc flag to QEMU takes
> > care to look at these options & add approprivate syntax.
>
>   Sounds sensible, but shouldn't we provide a default qemu.conf example with
> a detail of the options, in which case the file should also be added,
> and the Makefile.am/libvirt.spec.in should be extended for it, no ?. We don't
> do this apparently for libvirtd.conf maybe that should be fixed too, I'm a
> bit worried if configuration files start to pop out and the user can't easilly
> find out they exist and how they should be used, default templates sounds
> the best approach to me.

Good idea. I've committed this patch, and also added the example config
files libvirtd.conf and qemu.conf - all the values are commented out in
the configs so they use defaults out of the box. I included inline docs
too, since people often forget to look at the website for this info,
though we should really have a man page for the config files....

Dan.