[Libvir] Concepts in storage management

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 16:16:33 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:34:26PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-September/msg00119.html
>> Since that thread is split across two months, can I bring to everyone's
>> attention the post I made yesterday:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-October/msg00057.html
>>
>> In particular the concept at the end that we shouldn't even try to
>> support every possible remote storage, but instead allow the
>> administrator to write "scriptlets" (small shell scripts with a
>> well-defined input & output) to perform a set of operations:
>
> This is really just an implementation detail. We still need to define the
> storage concepts we want to expose in the public API, before figuring out
> on the backend implementation. Most of the implementation wiill pretty much
> have to follow the scheme of just invoking command line tools like lvcreate
> and lvs, since formal APIs are scarse.

Well, a basic set of operations would be whatever we need to implement
virt-install/virt-manager remotely now, plus other suggestions as they
come along.

 From a fairly brief scan of the virt-install & virt-manager code that
would be:

  - Create an empty a file with given name & size & sparseness.
  - Detect if a named device or file exists (basically a remote stat).
  - Copy image to remote temporary file (for kernel/CD-ROM).
  - Check free space (remote statvfs).

It might be nice to list LVs, but it doesn't seem to be necessary to
implement remote virt-* at the moment (AFAICS).

Rich.