[Libvir] Is it possible to add an interface to intercept the migration process?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 09:39:17 UTC 2007

Jack Meng wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Actually I'm thinking about how to recognize the same storage (probably
> external), not things on them. Sometimes storages are shared between
> hosts but have different paths to access, e.g., for fibre channel
> storages. So an update to the conf file is probably needed here to let
> the dest attach 'right' storages.
>
> Mirroring/iSCSI is not the case I'm considering.

I'm still a bit unclear about what you're trying to do.  Is the external
storage mounted on the guest at the point when you're doing the
migration?  If it is connected then you'd need to umount it before
migration and mount it (with a new device name) afterwards.  Possibly an
update to /etc/fstab would be in order too.  This seems to preclude live
migration and requires cooperation from the guest during migration, so
no special support by the HV is required.  You can just signal to the
guest that it is about to be migrated and needs to do the umount/rename
and wait until after it has been migrated to signal it again to remount.

If the external storage is actually your root filesystem then you are
probably s.o.l at this point.

Rich.