[Libvir] Is it possible to add an interface to intercept the migration process?

Jack Meng Jack.Meng at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 18 10:27:34 UTC 2007

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Jack Meng wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> Actually I'm thinking about how to recognize the same storage
>> (probably external), not things on them. Sometimes storages are
>> shared between hosts but have different paths to access, e.g., for
>> fibre channel storages. So an update to the conf file is probably
>> needed here to let the dest attach 'right' storages.
>>
>> Mirroring/iSCSI is not the case I'm considering.
>
> I'm still a bit unclear about what you're trying to do.  Is the
> external storage mounted on the guest at the point when you're doing
> the migration?  If it is connected then you'd need to umount it before
> migration and mount it (with a new device name) afterwards.  Possibly
> an update to /etc/fstab would be in order too.  This seems to preclude
> live migration and requires cooperation from the guest during
> migration, so no special support by the HV is required.  You can just
> signal to the guest that it is about to be migrated and needs to do
> the umount/rename and wait until after it has been migrated to signal
> it again to remount.
Will  this hurt applications/services running on the guest?
However, that is not my point. I'm thinking  about if hypervisors see
these external storages with different paths and they are attched to
guest as block devices.

Best regards,
Jack