[Libvir] PATCH: Support NIC model selection for QEMU/KVM

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 20:33:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:44:38PM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometime between kvm-36 and kvm-46 I ran into problems with the
> default QEMU network card (ne2k-pci).  Switching it fixed the
> problems, but libvirt doesn't support changing the NIC model.
> These patches add support for:
>
>   <interface>
>     <nic model="rtl8139"/>
>   </interface>
>
> which becomes
>
>   qemu -net nic,model=rtl8139,mac=...
>
> By default, no model is appended to the qemu command line, as before.
> Documentation update & some fixes are included too.

  Hum,

I would really prefer if we were able to identify the issue and
fix it transparently for the user (for example by detecting the
kvm version if possible) rather than add an option in the permanent
data file just to make stuff work. I hope this is possible, but
can't really tell.

Patch 2 & 4 are obviously documentation errors and not related so
I pushed them to CVS, thanks a lot !