[Libvir] read-only git mirror of libvirt CVS repository

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Oct 26 06:27:56 UTC 2007

Jim Paris <jim at jtan.com> wrote:
> Jim Meyering wrote:
>> I've set up an automatically-sync'd git mirror of the libvirt.org's
>> libvirt CVS repository.  The mirror is updated approximately every
>> 30 minutes.  You can view the change-set summary via this URL:
>>
>>     http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=libvirt.git
>>
>> You can get a copy of the repository with the following command:
>> (this uses the efficient "git://" protocol, and is sort of analogous
>> to CVS pserver, in that you get anonymous, read-only access)
>>
>>     git clone git://et.redhat.com/libvirt
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks, now I don't have to keep a local mirror anymore :)
> It seems that your mirror is missing tags, though, according to

Hi Jim,

Thanks for letting me know.  git's default hooks/update prohibits
pushing such unannotated tags by default, so although git-cvsimport
did create them, when I pushed the result to the public repo, they were
being denied.  I've changed the corresponding config variable to permit
it, so the tags are there, now.

> "git tags -l".  My local mirror had tags and was created with
>    git-cvsimport -o master -d $CVSROOT -v -k -m -i libvirt

Thanks.  I've added -k, since libvirt has at least 8 files with $Id[*],
but don't seem to need the '-o master' -- at least not the way I'm pushing
the result afterwards.  Do you need it, with a recent version of git?

> Also, perhaps some .gitignore files could be added upstream now?
> Patch below.

[patch adding many individual .gitignore files]

I suppose you know that you can do the same thing with a single
top-level .gitignore file.  While such consolidation makes the result
less maintainable, it might be more palatable for committers who don't
use any dVCS.

[*] It'd be nice to remove the $Id strings.
Even in CVS, with no branches, they tend to cause nothing but trouble.