[Libvir] [RFC] Linux-VServer support

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 15:02:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 02:39:05PM +0100, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >  I looked at the code, that seems clean but I have a concern about the
> >overall XML format. Could you paste a couple of examples. Also I think
> >Linux-VServer and OpenVZ kind of configuration may end up with the same
> >kind of limitations or differences, so I would like to try to harmonize
> >both format when possible.
>
> Currently, the XML format is really limited. Are there any docs on what
> should be there, or should I just look at the other drivers? As far as
> harmonizing with the OpenVZ driver, I'm fine with that, but it seems to
> be pretty limited and, to some degree at least, ugly.

  Harmonizing the XML formats shouldn't be that hard ...
We discussed the OpenVZ format there
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-July/msg00347.html
and around there earlier:
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-March/msg00193.html
For network settings
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-July/msg00366.html

> Here's an example:
> virsh # dumpxml etch
> <domain type='vserver' id='40001'>
>   <name>etch</name>
>   <uuid>c81f40f2-7e72-606d-7d07-097c1d56a5b5</uuid>
>   <memory>500000</memory>
>   <scheduler>
>     <param name='fill_rate1'>100</param>
>     <param name='interval1'>1000</param>
>     <param name='fill_rate2'>25</param>
>     <param name='interval2'>1000</param>
>     <param name='idle_time'>1</param>
>   </scheduler>
> </domain>

  I'm surprized there is no path or storage informations at all.
Are the parameters for the scheduler all integers ? If you really
never end up with an information set more structured than that then

  <scheduler fill_rate1='100' interval1='1000' fill_rate2='25' interval2='1000'
             idle_time='1'/>

would probably be simpler. The question is would other kind of scheduler
use more structured parameters ? Seems to me it's not the case and that
ad-hoc parsing to convert {name, value} pairs would just work.