[Libvir] PATCH: 1/7 Split up the public header files

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 15:20:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:53:07AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:56:18AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > This patch splits up the libvirt.h file into multiple pieces. The big header
> > file was getting rather long & hard to follow, with API calls for domains and
> > networks all mixed together, and macros & typedefs & methods all mixed up.
> > Adding another 25 APIs for storage won't improve this. So this splits up the
> > header into
> >
> >    libvirt/connection.h    - connection related API calls & objects
> >    libvirt/node.h          - host node information APIs  & objects
> >    libvirt/domain.h        - hypervisor/domain API calls & objects
> >    libvirt/network.h       - virtual networking API calls & objects
> >
> > The original libvirt.h, now simply #include's all four of these files. The
> > header files aren't intended to be included directly - apps carry on just
> > using the main header file.
>
>   The main impact is not covered by this patch, it's the documentation
> generation, which also mean that on the web site the doc page for libvirt
> would become nearly empty and 4 new pages would be added.
>   I'm not against the change (though it will break all previous reference
> to documentation functions embedded in list archives) but the documentation
> impact seems to not have been considered and it's not neglectible, really.

Hmm, yes I forgot about the docs - it will have an impact there. One could
argue though that the impact will be positive, since it'll split the docs
into more managable chunks each page dealing with a specific class of APIs.

In any case, this patch doesn't really block any of the storage work - its
just something I tried out. We can easily stay with existing scheme and
reconsider it another time.

Dan.