[Libvir] Compiling libvirt v0.3.2 on centos5

Meng Kuan mengkuan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:49:58 UTC 2007

On 04 Sep 2007, at 7:17 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I've installed a fresh CentOS 5.0 (x86-64) and did:
>
> (1) Create ~/.rpmmacros & ~/rpm directory structure as described in
> Dan's email.
>
> (2) yum install rpm-build rpm-devel python-devel xen-devel \
>        libxml2-devel readline-devel ncurses-devel gnutls-devel \
>        gcc
>
> (3) wget ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-0.3.2-1.src.rpm
>
> (4) rpm -i libvirt-0.3.2-1.src.rpm  [NB: NOT as root]
>
> (5) cd ~/rpm/SPECS; rpmbuild -ba libvirt.spec  [NB: also NOT as root]
>
> and it rpmbuilds just fine.  So I suspect that your problem was
> because you were trying to rpmbuild as root, which as mentioned
> before is dangerous anyway.

The rpm builds properly now. The system I am using is a test server
so when the first rpmbuild command failed saying it don't have access
to the /usr/src/redhat/SRC directory I simply used sudo instead. My
bad. Now I know what is the proper way of compiling rpms and I hope
this info helps some other rpm newbie as well.

Many thanks to all for your help!

cheers,
mengkuan