[Libvir] can't start windows guest domains

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 23:17:43 UTC 2007

Thomas Antony wrote:
> Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:38:31 ERROR    virDomainCreateLinux() failed POST
> operation failed: (xend.err "Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot
> allocate memory')")

I think I've seen this one, and if so then it has been fixed but the
problem may not have made it out to Fedora yet (it was a bug in Xen itself).

It was caused by Domain-0 not being able to balloon down its memory
usage by enough to accomodate the new domain.  The workaround is to
reduce the amount of memory allocated to Domain-0 manually first, eg:

   virsh setmaxmem 0 128000

but you'll have to modify '128000' to be some amount of memory in
kilobytes which is the current Domain-0 allocation, less what is needed
for your new domain, less a bit more for good luck...

Rich.