[Libvir] Network blocking issue

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 14:53:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:49:37PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >  Is there a configuration knob in the RPC layer to lower the
> >timeout delay ? Some calls are slow, but we should not reach a 2mn
> >timeout, that's very very long I think.
>
> Migrations might take some time.
>
> In any case the RPC code just does 'sendto' followed by 'recvfrom'.
> There is no timeout to adjust on the client side.
>
> Shuveb's problem is that TCP doesn't gracefully handle the case where
> the ethernet cable is pulled out.  There may be a socket option which
> helps for this.

That depends on your definition of graceful.

Shuveb's definition is that he wants the connection to fail & give an error
back to the app.

My definition is that TCP should keep retrying until I plug the cable back
in, so I don't get unneccessary failures if i'm just switching cables
around. Likewise if there's temporary outages anywhere else in the link
between the client & server.

Dan.