[Libvir] PATCH 1/5: Use pkg-config for libxml

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 14:47:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 02:40:06PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 03:32:35AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > only if the OS integration decided to make it work. To me the goal of configure
> > is to get maximum portability (otherwise honnestly, why bother with the
> > auto*, right ?)
>
> pkg-config is trivial to install on any common OS & is widely used by all
> modern libraries. The whole point is to increase portability & reliability

  I don't want to require people to install it. I don't want people to have to
reinstall libxml2 as a result too.

> >   In the case of libvirt though we may conclude that we target only OSes
> > where pkg-config is set up, could someone clarify to me the status of
> > pkg-config (at least for libxml2) on:
> >      - Solaris (I guess yes)
> >      - OS-X
> >      - cygwin
>
> http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
>   "pkg-config works on multiple platforms: Linux and other UNIX-like
>    operating systems, Mac OS X and Windows. It does not require anything
>    but a reasonably well working C compiler and a C library"

  My question is not if it *works* on said platform, my question if it
is installed by default on said platform. I don't want pkg-config to become
a new requirement for libvirt just for cleaning up the configure file, sorry.
And stating that we ship it in linux is of no interest, if I were okay with
just linux I would have a simple Makefile which would be even cleaner and
simple.

> Any recent library is using pkg-config for build integration - we provide a

  Not the question again. Assume I'm on an OS-X box, will configure find
the libxml2 with the tweak for configure out of the box. that's the only
thing that matters and sorry the cut and paste don't answer that. If someone
with a configured Os-X and someone with a configured cygwin could answer
then I would be okay if it's there by default.