[Libvir] PATCH: Updated patches for PolicyKit support

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 16:46:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 05:14:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I guess I'd be +1.  What do the Solaris folks think?
>
> I wonder if issues of authentication and encryption can be separated out
> to allow a pluggable libvirt auth API?

This is an interesting question. Client authentication with PolicyKit is
out-of-band from the main libvirt<->client channel. ie, virt-manager has
to talk to DBus and say 'I want to gain credential org.libvirt.manage' and
then PolicyKit decides whether to allow it, require a password, require
the root password, etc. In my current impl, this has to be done prior to
connecting to the daemon. We have no API in libvirt for apps to be told
whether they need to authenticate, or gain credentials in some way. So
virt-manager just tries to use PolicyKit ahead of time, regardless since
it has no way to determine if the server will require it or not. I hate
to suggest it, but perhaps rather than re-purposing the existing UNIX
domain socket /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock or libvirt-sock-ro, I should
have added a distinct libvirt-sock-polkit ? That would at least give the
client app a way to test for existance ahead of time & thus decide if
it needs to request for credentials first.

To improve matter's we'd need a way for a client app to provide some form
of auth callback when opening a connection, and one or two new messages
on the wire to negotiate between client &server. This would probably require
a new virConnect variant taking a function pointer arg. But just what the
API contract will be is not all that straightforward & would want to be
extendable to work with stuff like SASL / GSSAPI.

We never really came to any conclusion on this last time....

http://www.mail-archive.com/libvir-list@redhat.com/msg00646.html

Dan.