[Libvir] How to deploy Virtual Machine via libvirt

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 09:25:18 UTC 2007

Omer Khalid wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using libvirt in my python software for a while just to get
> deployed domain information. Usually I create a xen configuration file
> with all the parameters and trigger a "xm create -f file" command to
> deploy the VM.
>
> The problem I have noticed since some time is that as this command is
> forwarded from Python to Xen, and no error code is returned; I loose
> track if the domain deployment request fails which is rare but happens.
>
> So I thought to use libvirt for virtual machine deployment, and wondered
> if there are python bindings which I could use. I also try to look up
> for some kind of small example code to deploy a VM via libvirt on the
> libvirt site but didn't succeed to find. Can any body help me out with
> their experience?

There are low-level calls within libvirt, but if you want to install a
new guest (eg. from an ISO) it's best to use virt-install.
(http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virtinst--devel,
http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/download.html)

Code examples can be found in virt-manager.

If you already have the guest and just want to start it up, then call
virDomainDefineXML followed by virDomainCreate in libvirt.

Rich.