[Libvir] trouble using ssh tunnel for remote hypervisor

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 09:37:47 UTC 2007

Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange a écrit :
>> The daemon libvirtd will always listen for UNIX socket connections. You
>> have to explicitly turn on TCP support, after having setup certificates.
>> If using SSH, then we simply tunnel to the UNIX socket over SSH so all
>> you need do is start the libvirtd daemon on the remote host.
> Can you rephrase the documentation a little bit then ? It seems to imply
> you have to do some additional libvirtd configuration for ssh transport
> usage.

Suggested change to the documentation attached.

>>> Also, from where does those error and warning come ?
>>> [root at acacia ~]# LC_ALL=C virsh -c xen:/// list
>>> libvir: Remote error : No such file or directory
>>> libvir: warning : Failed to find the network: Is the daemon running ?
>> That is a sign that the libvirtd daemon is notrunning on the host in
>> questions.

Well sometimes, but also it can be a sign that virsh is trying to use
the wrong Unix socket, or that the Unix socket has the wrong permissions
  or is otherwise inaccessible.  Try:

/usr/sbin/libvirtd --help

(which should print out all the paths expected by libvirtd) and:

strace virsh -c xen:/// list

which should tell you what socket virsh is trying to connect on.

In any case this warning can be ignored unless you want to manipulate
networks.

Rich.