[Libvir] Updated Solaris dom0 patch (part 1)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 19:46:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 03:03:15PM -0400, Mark Johnson wrote:

> I've broken this patch up into a few pieces to make
> it more reviewable and tried to address the comments
> from the previous patch (Jun 15th'ish if your looking).
>
> Here is first part...
>
> tested on today's CVS bits on a FC7 dom0
>  (LD_PRELOAD=src/.libs/libvirt.so src/.libs/virsh)
>
> One note, it looks like you still need a xend change on
> FC7 before the no kernel/bootloader option works. It
> looks like it's close though.. works fine with them
> of course.
>

> More details...
>

> [root at fedora solaris]# cat guest.py
> name = "solaris"
> vcpus = 1
> memory = "512"
>
> #bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
> #kernel = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/unix"
> #ramdisk = "/platform/i86pc/boot_archive"
> extra = "-k"
>
> root = "/dev/dsk/c0d0s0"
> disk = ['file:/export/guests/solaris/disk.img,0,w']

Oooh, that's interesting. Can you explain a little about Solaris paravirt
disk naming, since it doesn't use xvdN/hdN/sdN style config ? Does the
HVM disk naming still use the named devs ?

Also one other question. There is a config option

builder='linux'

Which is never used on Linux since 'linux' is the default. Do you change
the default on Solaris, or dooes the existing 'linux' builder work just
fine with Solaris DomU images ?  I guess the latter, since the SEXPR
you have below is using 'linux'.

> [root at fedora solaris]# xm list -l solaris
> (domain
>     (on_crash destroy)
>     (uuid 72f9b45e-4be9-bf1f-a500-3707b9c3922c)
>     (bootloader_args )
>     (vcpus 1)
>     (name solaris)
>     (on_poweroff destroy)
>     (on_reboot restart)
>     (bootloader )

Since I notice it has the bootloader bit in the SEXPR, I'm thinking I'll
tweak our XML generation so it at least includes an empty <bootloade/>
since there may be tools using libvirt which expect at least one of <os>
or <bootloader> and using an empty tag may keep them happier.

eg, it'd probably avoid this problem...

> virsh # console solaris
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : internal error domain information incomplete, missing kernel & bootloader
> domain.xml:25: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: os line 4 and domain
> </domain>
>          ^
> domain.xml:26: parser error : Premature end of data in tag domain line 1

Though obviously your patch fixes that too.

Dan.