[Libvir] proposal: remove contradictory indentation directive

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Thu Apr 10 12:18:49 UTC 2008

Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:27:19AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

>> > Of course ;-)
>> > There's actually a "make syntax-check" that would barf if I tried
>> > expanding *those* TABs.
>> >
>> > It's in Makefile.maint, and I see that it's disabled
>> > because I added sc_changelog to the list of excluded checks
>> > in Makefile.cfg.  I disabled it because the check requires
>> > ChangeLog date/author lines like this:
>> >
>> >   2008-04-08  Daniel Veillard  <veillard at redhat.com>
>> >
>> > rather than the ones we use:
>> >
>> >   Tue Apr  8 18:14:50 CET 2008 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>
>>
>> The former are the style which emacs changelog mode uses, so switching
>> over would be useful (for me).
>
> current is
>
>   :r!date
>
> for me in vi, the fingers type it by themselves without even asking the
> brain, that would be painful to change.
> Also i like the idea of having a more precise time, really, it's not like
> we do one commit every few days...

If you do that, you still have to manually append your name and email
address.  How about teaching your fingers to type the shorter "#d"
(or whatever you want to call it), which would add the entire line?

Just add this to your .vimrc file (last byte is ctrl-M, aka C-vC-m):

map #d :r!date '+\%F  Daniel Veillard  <veillard at redhat.com>'