[Libvir] PATCH: Support serial & parallel devices in QEMU driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 22:09:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:05:46AM +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Quoting "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>:
>
> Cool stuff. I've not read the patch because it's quite big but I've
> got a couple of questions:
>
> > - Run a TCP  server and wait for clients to connect, using telnet
> >   protocol over wire:
> >
> >    <serial type='tcp'>
> >      <source mode='bind' host='127.0.0.1' service='9999'
> >      wiremode='telnet'/>
> >      <target port='0'/>
> >    </serial>
> >
> > - Run a TCP client connecting to a remote host to send data in
> >   raw format:
> >
> >    <serial type='tcp'>
> >      <source mode='connect' host='127.0.0.1' service='9999'
> >      wiremode='raw'/>
> >      <target port='0'/>
> >    </serial>
>
> 1) Is any of those two an implementation of RFC 2217? ("Telnet Com
> Port Control Option")

See the docs on -serial telnet in QEMU for a precise description:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC10

  "The telnet protocol is used instead of raw tcp sockets. The options
   work the same as if you had specified -serial tcp. The difference is
   that the port acts like a telnet server or client using telnet option
   negotiation. This will also allow you to send the MAGIC_SYSRQ sequence
   if you use a telnet that supports sending the break sequence. Typically
   in unix telnet you do it with Control-] and then type "send break"
   followed by pressing the enter key."

> 2) Will all this serial port "flavors" be available for all drivers
> (qemu, kvm, xen, etc) or will they all be available for Xen, then only
> some for the other drivers?

KVM is part of the QEMU driver so yes. And I already mentioned that I intend
to add it to the Xen driver. Other drivers can use if it applicable - I
imagine the Solaris LDoms driver can use the TCP based syntax for its console
access.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|