[Libvir] RFC: get/set properties

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 07:58:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:23:53PM -0700, Ryan Scott wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:31:32AM -0700, Ryan Scott wrote:
> >>  I'd like to get some comments on the following...
> >>
> >>  We would like to use libvirt to store some properties related to a
> >>domain.  This can be done by adding a simple get/set API as follows:
> >
> >What are the properties ?  I'm not really very enthusiastic about the
> >idea of adding API / XML for generic key,value properties. I think it
> >will quickly be abused as a way to add arbitrary, non-standardized
> >hypervisor / driver specific configuration which would be better
> >represented with explicit schema.
>
> One thing we have in mind is driver/software version numbers.  For
> example, the control tools may change the domain configuration based on
> whether a certain driver has the support for a new feature.  If we
> create the domain's xml with the driver information, we can make this
> decision quickly, on the fly, in dom0.

Taking the specific example of driver support I think it's far better to
express that as part of the device description of the domain.
If it's about the Guest OS currently we only have a generic
  <domain>
    <os>
      <type> ...</type>
having a version attribute there sounds reasonable.
If it's about the emulated hardware, for example the number of crypto
engine like in the lDOM description the proper place would under
  <domain>
    <features>

> While this information is related to domain configuration, it's not
> hypervisor-specific, so I'm not sure where else we would put it in the
> domain's XML description.

  Domain configuration pertains to the XML domain description for sure
but this need to be added in a structured way.

> This gives the control tools someplace to store that information, rather
> than having to create some separate storage for each domain.

I think every new addition to the structure need to be examined on a case
by case basis, in order to keep libvirt API and the tools buit on top of
them coherent. It is certainly more complex than opening the gate to a
completely unstructured mechanism but like any API design, it takes a bit
of time and efforts to find the proper syntactic constructs. The effort
pays off on the long term IMHO.