[Libvir] PATCH: Re-structuring the libvirt.org website content

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 15:59:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:49:27AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 07:47:08PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>   In a nutshell, fantastic, I like this a lot !
>
> >   - There is a page describing all applications using libvirt as their API
> >
> >      http://berrange.fedorapeople.org/libvirt/website-demo/apps.html
> >
> >     Shout if you have more applications you want added to this page...
>
>   We need to add the CIM provider for libvirt http://libvirt.org/CIM/
> CC'ing the CIM mailing-list as they will be impacted by this, an update
> of their site would make sense to keep the harmony.

Yes, I've already added this to the related links page along with
links to all the language bindings. I'll also link the 'CIM provider'
in the front page bullet list.

> >   - Linked to the new wiki site, and added seemless integration betweeen
> >     the wiki navigation & styling, and the main site.
>
>    adding the Wiki is important, thanks, but I don't see the integration,
> c.f. http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Main_Page , what did I missed ?

I changed the default site style, but if you're logged into the admin
account you might need to change your account preferences to use the
new skin -

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Special:Preferences

Select the 'Libvirt' skin.

> >   - There is a new updated CSS graphic design - I can't take credit for
> >     that - it is from mockups done by one of the Red Hat designers.
>
>   I like the design, just a couple of nits, the fonts are a bit small
> and when going to the API page it looks a bit bizarre.

Not sure what you mean about the API pages ? They're using the same style
as the rest of the site. The only other style change there was that the
table of contents puts everything within one <pre> intead of multiple
to get rid of the repeated boxes in the TOC of the current page.

The fonts display the same size as the current site when I compare them.
Or do you want them bigger than the current site ?

> > Again, if all this is too much to take in, just go straight to the sitemap
> > page on the demo site and click around...
>
>   For the API page, I would be a bit conservative, first because I hate when
> URLs for documentation break, second because it's part of the search index
> under the API, and as such the entries from the PHP or the database would have
> to be shuffled if you break the pages.

The API pages are still using the same URLs as before. If we were to split
it out into groups by  virConnect/Domain/Network/Storage, then I'd suggest
still keeping the same existing URLs for compatability, and use that page
to link to the group pages. So if someone stored the URL they'd still get
a valid page, and no 404's

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|