[Libvir] Integrating NetApp/Solaris iSCSI highlevel facilities

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 21:02:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:51:16PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have just finished some scripts that allows 'native Xen' to use some
> facilities of NetApp. Basically using a vfiler, and a q-tree Xen can be
> provisioned. Allowing: netapp://customer/disk
>
> Some scripts can be found here:
> http://kinkrsoftware.nl/contrib/xen/
>

> I wonder if people are already working on the libvirt storage side to
> support 'remote' highlevel filesystems. For example ZFS or NetApp storage
> machines could benefit from an easy interface.

In the 0.4.0 release we added storage management APIs. There is a concept
of a storage pool, containing storage volumes. There are various impls of
storage pools, one of which is iSCSI. This lets you login to iSCSI servers,
enumerate LUNs, determine the persistent stable path for a LUN and then
assign it to a guest.  Similarly given a guest disk, you can query the
storage volume associated wih the path, and then query the storage pool
associated with the volume. Letting you map in both directions between
guests and iSCSI servers/volumes.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|