[Libvir] Basic VMWare support

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 15:13:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 03:24:00PM +0200, Marek 'marx' Grac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that there is no support for VMWare ESX yet but I would like to
> know if someone is working on it. I need just three basic operations:
> status/power on/power off but I never saw the source code of libvirt :)
> Do you think it is possible to write this support (using VMWare API) in
> acceptable time? week? month?

  I have been looking at VMWare APIs a bit in the last weeks.
There is no support right now. I am tempted to access VMWare by
using the WEB service API (not the VIX one, I'm not sure it
would be able to connect remotely to a standard ESX).
  The API is a bit complex (I'm certainly biased though)
and I'm not yet able to list to resources from C code. But
once you have a handle to the right VM it looks relatively easy
to get status and power on/off assuming the rights to do so.