[Libvir] PATCH: Don't request polkit auth if client is root

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 08:15:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:55:50AM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This patch makes two adjustments to the way policy kit authentication is
> > done.
> >
> >  - Currently the server unconditionally ask the client to do policykit
> >    authentication. This is unnecessary if the remote client is running
> >    as root, which we can check via UNIX socket credentials. Unconditionally
> >    asking plays havoc with SSH tunneling, so this patch makes it check the
> >    socket credentials &not ask for auth if the client is UID==0
> >
> >  - The virsh client will unconditionally call polkit-auth to request
> >    credentials. This is also unneccessary if the client is running as
> >    root, so this patch makes it skip that step as root.
> >
> > The patch is bigger than it seems because removing an if() conditional
> > made a huge chunk be re-indented.
>
> Good idea.  Looks fine.
> ACK.
>
> [BTW, thanks for the SO_PEERCRED example -- I didn't know about it,
>  and was surprised to find so little documentation on it. ]

  The code for UNIX socket credential checking can be made portable, but it's
really a big mess, in gamin I also allow CMSGCRED, which increase portability
a bit. I remember looking in glib at the time for this kind of code, but as
the comment point out DBus code should have a fairly complete and up to date
set.