[Libvir] Wiki Pages?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 16:38:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:47:37AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> My previous experience hosting a Wiki on xmlsoft.org (a.k.a. libvirt.org)
> has been rather painful, admitedly that was a few years ago ...
> I'm not sure what's the best way, hosting yet another wiki or reusing
> an existing one.

Wikis, as you point out, require active management.

I'm running several low-traffic OCaml wikis (might as well advertise
them: http://ocaml-tutorial.org/ and http://cocan.org/) with
reasonable success.  We require authenticated email addresses for all
editing, a diff of all edits are CC'd daily to subscribers, and we
have people who act as editors for particular pages / sections of the
wiki.

This has controlled spam reasonably successfully.  One Ubuntu
developer who shall remain nameless turned out to have a sideline in
blackhat "SEO" (wiki spamming) and actually signed up with his valid
email address to spam the wiki.  This was spotted almost instantly and
he was kicked off.  We had another case where someone signed up using
http://mailinator.com and set up a http://bugmenot.com account which
we also found quickly and eliminated.  The daily emailed diffs of the
whole wiki, plus the ability to roll back a day, basically make any
long-term wiki spam impossible to carry out (or so we think ...[1])

The benefits of all this management can be useful, user-driven
resources, and _if_ carefully structured and edited, this can be
better than Google + mailing lists or asking the same questions over
and over on IRC.

Just my 2p (about $1).

Rich.

[1] And if you think of a way, rather than making lots of work for our
editors by "proving" it, just email me OK?

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v