[Libvir] Web Interface Question

Spencer Parker inthefridge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:10:19 UTC 2008

I am actually in the process of trying to develop one of these in Python.
Since I am pretty new to python or programming in general, it has been a
really good learning experience.  I haven't really gotten very far
yet...since its all learning about basically everything...its been fun.  I
have made some basic calls to the API and had the info shoved into a MySQL
database...but thats about...nothing grand.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:38:17PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:35:33PM +0100, Henri Cook wrote:
> > > I'm designing a web interface for libvirt so that my customers can
> > > manage their DomUs - unless you know of a good one that already
> exists???
> > >
> > > I'm thinking that the best way to run this is have the web server
> > > connected to libvirtd - but I can't find any documentation about the
> API
> > > it presents - can you help?
> >
> > I sort of gathered from IRC that you are using Perl & Dan's Perl
> > bindings.  This is the right approach.
> >
> > In order to be able to contact libvirtd without needing to run
> > anything as root you (may) need to change the permissions on the
> > libvirtd socket (normally /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock).  If your
> > libvirt was configured to use PolicyKit you may also need to edit the
> > configuration file /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf to allow your web
> > server user access to the privilege 'org.libvirt.unix.manage'.
>
> PolicyKit is one option - you'd need to edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf
> to add an explicit rule allowing the httpd user access.
>
> Alternatively you could switch the UNIX socket to use SASL as its auth
> method, and setup a SASL username & password
>
> There's some docs here
>
> http://libvirt.org/auth.html
>
> Dan.
> --
> |: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/:|
> |: http://libvirt.org  -o-  http://virt-manager.org  -o-  http://ovirt.org:|
> |: http://autobuild.org       -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/<http://search.cpan.org/%7Edanberr/>:|
> |: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-  F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505
> :|
>
> --

Spencer Parker

"if you can't go to heaven, may you at least die in Ireland."