[Libvir] proposal: remove contradictory indentation directive

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Thu Apr 10 09:39:39 UTC 2008

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:53:44AM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >   But please keep tabks in ChangeLog for indenting,
>>
>> Of course ;-)
>> There's actually a "make syntax-check" that would barf if I tried
>> expanding *those* TABs.
>>
>> It's in Makefile.maint, and I see that it's disabled
>> because I added sc_changelog to the list of excluded checks
>> in Makefile.cfg.  I disabled it because the check requires
>> ChangeLog date/author lines like this:
>>
>>   2008-04-08  Daniel Veillard  <veillard at redhat.com>
>>
>> rather than the ones we use:
>>
>>   Tue Apr  8 18:14:50 CET 2008 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>
>
> The former are the style which emacs changelog mode uses, so switching
> over would be useful (for me).

I'd prefer it, too, for the same reason.
In case there is consensus, here's that Emacs documentation
has to say on the subject:

     Versions of Emacs before 20.1 used a different format for the time of
  the change log entry:

       Fri May 25 11:23:23 1993 Richard Stallman  <rms at gnu.org>

  The `M-x change-log-redate' command converts all the old-style date
  entries in the change log file visited in the current buffer to the new
  format, to make the file uniform in style.  This is handy when entries
  are contributed by many different people, some of whom use old versions
  of Emacs.