[Libvir] XVDA

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 18:10:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:57:49AM -0600, Spencer Parker wrote:
> I have on question...when I go to grab blockStats...why do I have use XVDA
> vs. HDA?  Just wondering if there was something I was missing.  I have all
> of my Xen Domu's set up to use HDA is there some compelling reason to change
> over?

Well, strictly speaking what you should do is dump the XML of each
domain (virDomainGetXMLDesc), parse it to find the list of disks, and
use whatever is in the <target dev="..."> element.  Pass "..." to
virDomainBlockStats.  You don't need to know the name of the device at
all.

Now, if that doesn't work (ie. either the target dev is wrong, or
passing it to virDomainBlockStats gives an error) then it's a bug so
please let us know if that's the case.

Sorry this isn't very well documented, however virt-top does contain
example code.  Here might be a good place to start:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/applications/virt/applications/virt-top--devel?f=d25bada76866;file=virt-top/virt_top_xml.ml

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top