[Libvir] PATCH 0/4: Serial / parallel device support

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 15:32:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:20:40PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> This patch series adds support for serial & parallel devices to the QEMU
> driver, and updates the Xen driver to support new syntax for HVM guests too.
>
> The following syntax is used. Anywhere you see 'serial', you can equally
> use 'console' or 'parallel'.
>
> The 'serial' is for real serial devices only, likewise 'parallel' is for
> parallel port devices only.  'console' tag is for paravirtualized
> consoles. IF there is no paravirt console, then the first serial device
> (if any) is also duplicated as a 'console' tag. This provides backwards
> compatability with existing syntax.
[...]
> This is sufficient flexibility to represent all QEMU character device modes,
> Xen paravirt console, LXC container fake console and the Solaris LDoms
> console, and VMWare serial devices.
>

> This series of patches updates the Xen and QEMU drivers, and their test
> suites. A later patch will also update the LXC driver to this new syntax.

  Fine by me, let's push this, feedback may lead to a bit of tweaking of
the code but it will be easier to deal with as diff from CVS than on this
patchset.

> I was going to document this all in the format.html  page, but looking at
> the content there it needs a complete re-write. The split between Xen and
> QEMU formats is pointless because they share 95% of the their config. Both
> the Xen and QEMU descriptions are outdated, and the Xen PV vs HVM split is
> also less than useful since they have much more commmonaility now. I intend
> to re-write it to describe each element / attribute in turn, and then at
> the end provide some example configs for each driver.

  If we can achieve this then that means we should also be able to maintain
the relaxng schemas, ship it with the distribution and even pissibly add a
checking rule as part of virsh.