[Libvir] PATCH: Support network interface model in Xen and QEMU driver

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 07:22:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:29:18AM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > This patch finishes off the work from Rich / Soren to support network
> > interface model in both Xen and QEMU drivers, and adds test cases for
> > the new syntax
>
> I still think our consensus from when I posted this patch last year
> (<nic model=...>) makes more sense ... but getting any form of this
> patch upstream sounds good to me.

  I'm fine with the patch.

  Concerning this detail of the syntax, we already know at that point
that it's about a nic since we are in an <interface> description,
so it's a bit redundant. Also it's the first time we introduce XML
to describe a specific model of hardware (so far we managed to avoid
this, from a virtualization POV it's more of a problem than a feature
in my opinion), the advantage of
   <model type='....'/>
to me is that we could reuse exactly the same construct each time we
want to specify the hardware model of an emulated device, the device type
being already defined by the englobing element (disk/input/graphic/serial/...)
  Since we are introducing new syntax, making it as generic as possible
sounds better to me,