[Libvir] How to get the memory used by a guest domin

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 12:57:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 06:37:26PM +0530, ajishrao wrote:
> Hi dan,
>
>  I got confused with your answer, virDomainInfo memory,
>
> Does it mean that all allocated memory is utilized by the guest OS?

No, this just tells you how much memory the hypervisor has allocated
to the guest OS.

>  Their is good chance that Guest OS may not be utilizing all memory.

Correct. The only way to find that out is to ask the guest OS for its
fine grained breakdown of memory usage. The hypervisor/host OS doesn't
have ability to get this information.

> How to find out the Currently running Guest Domains memory utilization
> level?

You'll want to have some monitoring agent inside your guest OS. One example
lightweight agent is 'collected'. It'll transmit utilization data to any
host over the network where you can analyse it

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|