[libvirt] "static" ip address

Olivier Deckmyn olivier at deckmyn.org
Sun Aug 3 08:15:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Fabian Deutsch <fabian.deutsch at gmx.de>wrote:

> Hey,
>

> > I'm using KVM with the wonderful help of libvir (virsh), on a
> > to-be-production-ready server of mine.
> >

> > I would like to be able to choose on a way or another the ip of each
> > of my VM. As far as I can understand, the only way to get an IP (from
> > a vm point of view) if the dhcp it. But I have no garantee vm1 will
> > always get x.x.x.1 Ip adress...
>
> I suppose you are speaking about the NAt-Solution.

Yes. Sorry. My server has 1 public IP address. Host will host an Apache
proxying http services hosted by VMs. VMs will have private IP addresses
(192.168.0.x).

I can not have any other public IP addresses, so bridging is not a solution
(AFAICU)

Nat seems good choice in my case, I think.

> Have a look at some bridge-Solution:
> http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesRoute

Ok.

You are proposing me to use :

      <network>
	<name>local</name>
	<bridge name="virbr1" />
	<forward mode="route" dev="eth1"/>
	<ip address="192.168.122.1" netmask="255.255.255.0">
	  <dhcp>
	    <range start="192.168.122.2" end="192.168.122.254" />
	  </dhcp>
	</ip>
      </network>

I understand this defines a network, where IP address of host in VM-World is
192.168.122.1, and DHCP distributes IP addresses to VMs. Nat is disabled ?

I just don't understand how I can specify that VM1 (with its mac address),
should have .1 IP address. Natting will be automagic ?

I must admit I don't really know how to use routing system, I presume :(

Thanx for your help,

> <http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesRoute>
>

> - fabian

Olivier.