[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [libvirt] RE: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] virt-mem tools version 0.2.8 released

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Aug 10 14:04:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:07:32AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Libvirt deliberately doesn't expose the full
> feature set of any one hypervisor which it supports, but instead
> exposes common features.

Judging by one private reply I got, I don't want this to be
misinterpreted.  Libvirt DOESN'T expose the minimum subset of all
hypervisors (because that would be very small and useless).  It
exposes general virtualization features, even if those features only
apply to one or two hypervisors.  For example:

  migration - only works with Xen & KVM, but could be applicable
   to other hypervisors in the future when we support them and they
   support migration

  scheduler tuning - only for Xen, but generally applicable

  adding/dropping interfaces from live guests - a general feature
    supported by many but not all of the backends

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 60 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)