[libvirt] VMWare support, any news?

acue acue at i4p.de
Thu Aug 14 20:46:58 UTC 2008

Hello,
even though it might probably not be exactly what you expect,
I released a GPL3-Tool, the UnifiedSessionsManager, what functionally
exactly does this.

It supports transparently VMware-workstation+server+player and utilizes
either
vmrun or vmware-cmd. For new VMs the inventory entries are created
transparently
in case of VMserver.

Therefore a "unified" call interface is provided - with same syntax for
QEMU and Xen,
which is as basic-call as follows:

->START: ctys -t vmw -a create=<machine-address> <execution-target>

      -t <VM-type>

      -a <action>:=CREATE|CANCEL|LIST|ENUMERATE|SHOW|INFO

      <machine-address>:=(
         [label:<displayName>][,]
         [pathname:<pathname>][,]
      )

      The exact syntax and components are described detailed within the
manual.

  <execution-target>
      An execution target in "email-format" <USER>@<HOST>, when missing
"localhost" is
      assumed.

  There are more options, but this call is sufficient:

    ctys -t vmw -a create=label:myDisplayName myExecTargetHost

  When no cached information is present the filesystem is scanned by a
find based on a
  match-filter for configuration files, and the required information is
fetched from
  the configuration file.

  Further information is available from the User-Manual, which is has
more than 600pages.

->STOP: ctys -t vmw -a cancel=label:myDisplayName myExecTargetHost

Maybe this is what you functionally require. The libvirt, exactly virsh
in companion with
xm is used in case of Xen (-t xen) only.

The URL is
  http://www.unifiedsessionsmanager.org
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ctys

Arno

-- <march> -----Original Message----- From: Stefan de Konink
<skinkie at xs4all.nl> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:33:20 To: Yushu
Yao<yushuyaoyao at gmail.com> Cc: <libvir-list at redhat.com> Subject: Re:
[libvirt] VMWare support, any news? On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Yushu Yao wrote:

> > Thanks Daniel,
> >
> >     Could you point me to the simplest example of one other back-end? (I
> > looked into "test" one but don't know if it has been different after
> > refactoring).
> >
> >      So, consider VMPlayer as an example, I need simply do a system call
> > "vmplayer --xxx yyy.vmx" in the driver implementation? Am I understanding it
> > correctly?

Ideally you would implement the API used for ESX  ;)  but vmware player
could be a start  :)

Stefan