[libvirt] breaking out of virsh console?

acue acue at i4p.de
Thu Aug 14 21:18:18 UTC 2008

Hello,
even though this might probably not be exactly what you expect,
I released a GPL3-Tool, the UnifiedSessionsManager, what functionally
supports the "splitted" management of Clients and Servers including
Headless-Mode
and allows for disconnect and reconnect by a simplified addressing
schema only.

But anyhow, the onyl supported communications channel is SSH, tested
with OpenSSH.
I personally use SSH as kerberized SSO in companion with LDAP and
automount by usage
of PAM, thus having exactly the functionality of a centralized access by
encrypted
communications only.

The tool supports for DISPLAYFORWARDING as well as for
CONNECTIONFORWARDING,
which is a local client on caller's site. Remote execution of X11
clients are supoorted, e.g.
for remote VMM execution and passing the GUI through the SSH tunnel via
DISPLAYFORWARDING.

Additionally several CONSOLE types are supported in a generic manner for
XEN,
which are: XTERM, GTERM, VNC, EMACS, NONE. Where NONE is the headless-mode
for initial startup.

The name UnifiedSessionsManager means, it supports the (almost) same
syntax for
all supported types: XEN, QEMU,
VMW(VMare:workstaion,server,player),VNC,X11,CLI,
and PM, where PM is a physical machine, which could be started by
WoL-WakeOnLAN.

Thus you can setup a login-server, where ever you want, and just access
any of your
PMs or VMs, physical or virtual machines, in a secure manner by SSH. And
connect and
reconnect arbitrarily as you require, and choose for each session a
different CONSOLE type.

Additionally MACROs and GROUPs are supported, though the one-call
startup of any desktop
with an arbitrary number of VMs is supported. This includes the
automated startup of the
VMs.

The URL is
http://www.unifiedsessionsmanager.org