[libvirt] Re: virsh/virt-install for dummies

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 03:00:37 UTC 2008

Jun Koi wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>> Yes, virsh works well: it returns few pages of xml data.
>>>
>>> However, "virt-install" still has problem like below. It seems to have
>>> some thing with Xen? I dont install Xen on my machine.
>>>
>>> Could you give some hints to fix this??
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> # LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 virt-install -c qemu:///system --name jeos2 --ram
>>> 500 --file img.jeos2  --cdrom jeos-8.04.1-jeos-i386.iso
>>>

>> That command line has an error, you need to use --connect for the
>> URI, -c == --cdrom.
>>

> Yes, that was a mistake. I changed -c to --connect, and get the error
> "Unsupported virtualization type" now. How can I fix it?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>

> # LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 virt-install --connect qemu:///system --name jeos2
> --ram 500 --file img.jeos2 --cdrom jeos-8.04.1-jeos-i386.i
The current virt-install release doesn't pick a useful default
for virtualization type: it is just hardcoded to use paravirt.
Since your host doesn't have paravirt capabilities it is
throwing an error. This is fixed upstream: we will default
to paravirt only if on a xen host, otherwise we use hvm.

You'll need to specify --hvm and --accelerate as cli params if
you want to install a kvm guest.

Also, use the --debug flag if you want to see more useful
output related specifically to what virt-install is doing.

- Cole