[libvirt] Re: virsh/virt-install for dummies

Jun Koi junkoi2004 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 02:44:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jun Koi wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Jun Koi wrote:
>>> Hmm, yeah we should check that and throw a more clear error message.
>>>
>>> However, the root cause is that your capabilities xml is screwy
>>> (posted a few messages back.) There is only a <domain> element
>>> for x86_64 qemu but you're host arch is reported as i686.
>>>
>>> What libvirt version are you using?
>>> What virt-install/python-virtinst version are you using?
>>
>> I use libvirt-0.4.4-cvs, and virt-install-0.300.3.
>>
>>> Is kvm installed?
>
>> Yes, but does that really matter? I guess qemu is not even started at this step.
>>

> Yes it does matter because I am trying to figure out why your
> capabilities xml is messed up.
>
> Here is a piece of the capabilities xml you posted:
>
>  <guest>
>    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
>    <arch name='i686'>
>      <wordsize>32</wordsize>
>      <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu</emulator>
>      <machine>pc</machine>
>      <machine>isapc</machine>
>    </arch>
>    <features>
>    </features>
>  </guest>
>
> This piece here should have a <domain> element, but since
> it doesn't that means libvirt didn't have executable access
> to /usr/bin/qemu. Is this named differently on Ubuntu?

Though I use Ubuntu, I installed KVM from source code. And the vanilla
QEMU is not installed. And I use the KVM binary for QEMU (so no
accelerator is active in that case)

And there is no /usr/bin/qemu, but only /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 in
KVM installation.

>  <guest>
>    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
>    <arch name='x86_64'>
>      <wordsize>64</wordsize>
>      <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
>      <machine>pc</machine>
>      <machine>isapc</machine>
>      <domain type='qemu'>
>      </domain>
>    </arch>
>    <features>
>    </features>
>  </guest>
>
> If kvm is installed, then this should have a kvm <domain>
> entry. Is /dev/kvm present/kvm module loaded? Is
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm present?

There is nothing like qemu-kvm anywhere in my box. I guess that is
from Fedora package only? (I compiled and installed KVM from source
code)

Thanks,