[libvirt] Writing a new driver for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 21:15:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:38:23AM -0700, Orr, David-P64407 wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  I will look that the functions that you have
> pointed out for the other drivers here and see how they would be
> implemented for ours.  Based on your description I think we would use a
> stateless driver, since there are external tools and configurations
> available.
>
> To answer your question, it is actually a version of VMware Workstation
> with a Hypervisor added to it.  This is for our TVE product here at
> General Dynamics; here is a link to the product description:

In that case, I definitely agree that you should aim for a stateless
driver. VMWare has pre-existing config files / tools / APIs that can
be used for the libvirt driver.

> Another question, how mature is the CIM interface of libvirt.  I have
> not had much time to look at it yet, but we would be using it for remote
> management.

The libvirt-CIM work is very active - there's another mailing
list you could ask on, if they don't notice your questions here

   http://libvirt.org/CIM/