[libvirt] A laundry list of "TODO" items for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 15:42:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 04:30:55PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:58:34AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > Last month you had brought up the idea of a unified api call to
> > lookup all domains, with a flag option to filter the lookup by
> > domain state:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-July/msg00215.html
>
> It's worth making clear that the key issue isn't the filtering, but
> the fact that the virConnectListDomains & virDomainLookupByID calls
> would be combined.  This is a big saving in the remote case too
> because it turns 1+N round-trips into 1 round-trip.
>
> Virt-manager and virt-top both make these 1+N calls frequently (as in,
> once a second, and once every 3 seconds respectively).

Yes, this is a huge performance win when talking to XenD since each
XenD RPC call to list domains is ~ 0.5-1 second or worse.

> Also, if we use the __virDrvSupportsFeature call then we can actually
> emulate it in src/libvirt.c for drivers / libvirtd instances which
> don't understand the new call.  This means that applications can use
> the new call immediately, with confidence that it will work for all
> cases.

Good idea - that hadn't occurred to me - it'll be useful for talking to
old libvirtd instances at the very least - implementing the new style
for built-in drivers should be trivial already.