[libvirt] ISCSI Live Migration with LUN backed VMs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 11:33:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:19:01PM +0100, Tim Hughes wrote:
> I am using iscsi backed VMs which use a separate LUN for each VM. This is
> all good until I try to live migrate because the LUN is not logged into on
> the new machine. Does anyone have a way of handling logging into and out of
> iscsi luns during the migration ?

In general its the responsibility of the application/admin triggering
the migration to ensure that the destination host has the same storage
and network configuration. There's nothing special about iSCSI in this
regard really - FibreChannel/NFS/Cluster-LVM/etc all have the same
core requirements.   If you have a bunch of hosts you wish to migrate
between, then you need to configure them all to have matching resources