[libvirt] VMWare support, any news?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 22:13:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:11:33PM -0700, Yushu Yao wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I noticed there are some discussion about VMWare support of libvirt
> several back in April-May. Just wondering is there a prototype yet?

This is no code that I'm aware of. With the recent libvirt code refactoring
it should be much quicker/easier to develop additional hypervisor backends
if someone is motivated .... :-)

>     The function I¹m interested in is to stop/start a VM by VMWare
> player/workstation/free server.

Most of the interest in the past  has been for VMWare ESX server. From
what I understand we'd need to have completely different drivers for
ESX  vs  Player/Workstation  because they have no common management API
capabilities we can use. We'd welcome patches to write a driver for
either ESX or Player/Workstation or both, since they all have valid use
cases