[libvirt] Re: XML representation of security labels

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 07:29:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:46:35AM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 06:00:36AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:32:27PM +1000, James Morris wrote:
> > > I'd suggest we implement a new label element to avoid breaking
> > > compatibility and to avoid potential confusion with other types of device
> > > labels (e.g. as you might see via /dev/disk/by-label).
> > >
> > > So, how about the following:
> > >
> > >    <seclabel>
> > >
> > >        <model>
> > >
> > >            <!-- model-specific elements in here, to be handled by
> > >                 named security driver, in this case "selinux" -->
> > >            <selinux>
> > >                <type>targeted</type>
> > >            </selinux>
> >
> > I'd rather not have security model specific XML element names if
> > practical. We've tried to keep to a naming that is conceptually
> > generic, even if it only has 1 implementation.
>
>   right in general we have been using element names for specifying the
> concepts and attributes values to explain the specifics.
>

> > >        </model>
> > >
> > >        <value>system_u:object_r:virt_image_t:s0</value>
> >
> > Since the interpretation of the 'value' element's contents
> > depends on the type of security model, I think the type
> > is better designated on the parent 'seclabel' element.
> >

> > >    </seclabel>
> >
> > Would this be sufficient...
> >
> >    <seclabel model='selinux'>
> >       <policy>targeted</policy>
> >       <value>system_u:object_r:virt_image_t:s0</value>
> >    </seclabel>
>
>   that looks more homogeneous. i don't know hos that would map to
> other security models, examples would be great

I've just had a read of the Xen user guide on their ACM security module

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user.pdf

It kicks off around page 55

In that example a domain is labeled along the lines of 'ACM:mytest:A-Bank'
where 'ACM' is the security model, 'mytest' is the policy name,
and 'A-Bank' is the seclabel value. Disk files have the same breakdown.
This would map quite easily to

  <seclabel model='acm'>
       <policy>mytest</policy>
       <value>A-Bank</value>