[libvirt] PATCH 0/5: connection cloning support (WIP)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 20:23:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:24:11PM -0500, David Lively wrote:
> Ok, with that fix, my asynchronous Java event implementation seems to be
> working (though not fully tested) with these patches.
>
> But I'm not using connection cloning (yet).  It's your concurrency
> control in the remote driver that makes this work.

That's good, but i just threw away the connection cloning patch.
We're going to make asingle virConnectPtr object properly threadsafe.
This will also mean you don't need 'synchronized' annotations on
any java APis

> On the Java side, domain event callbacks from another thread work
> because of the (Java) locking of Connect objects.  I don't think I
> should remove that, since libvirt still prohibits concurrent use of the
> same virConnect object (right?)

Until 0.6.0..

> I suppose I could clone the virConnect object before delivering an event
> to a Java Domain (so the Domain's Connect would wrap the clone).  I
> don't think this does much in the remote case (since the underlying RPC
> pipe it still shared, albeit safely).  But I suppose it might allow
> greater concurrency in the non-remote cases.  Is this what you had in
> mind?

I vote for not support events in another thread in Java until
0.6.0, when we can remove al the limitations on thread usage.