[libvirt] libvirt 0.5.0 and KVM migration

Mickaël Canévet canevet at embl.fr
Tue Dec 2 08:32:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 09:11 +0100, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> Mickaël Canévet wrote:
> > Thanks for your quick answer.
> >
> > I forgot to restart libvirt on one node.
> >
> > Now I have an other error message:
> >
> > libvir: QEMU error : operation failed: failed to start listening VM
> >
> > Is there any kernel limitation also ? will it work with my distro 2.6.26
> > kernel with kvm-79 userspace component or do I have to have kvm-79
> > kernel module also, or even kernel then 2.6.26 ?
> >
> > In other (debian) words, will an "apt-get update kvm -t
> > experimental" (which provides kvm-79) be enough on my lenny (I would
> > like to limit unstable or experimental packages) ?
>
> Just an updated kvm-79 userspace *should* work; for instance, in oVirt, we are
> running a kvm-79 userspace equivalent on a 2.6.27 kernel, which is slightly
> older.  In general, a new kvm userspace should work on an older kernel, but it
> is not a heavily tested configuration, so your results might vary.

OK,

I updated both userspace and kernel module to kvm-79.
Now migration begins, but:
- On the source node, the command does not returns and an strace shows
that it does nothing (wait4(9709, )
- On the destination node, I can connect threw the VNC display, but
there seams to have a strange issue with I/O (lot of messages on
console; sd 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device). FYI my VM disk is
a DRBD over LVM as dual primary.
- From another PC, I lose a few pings during migration.

Are my I/0 errors comes from my backend storage (DRBD) ?

Mickaël Canévet.
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Grenoble Outstation. FRANCE