[libvirt] libvir: error could not connect to qemu://localhost/system

Kenneth Nagin NAGIN at il.ibm.com
Wed Dec 17 13:50:15 UTC 2008

I downloaded libvirt on December 14 and did the installation procedure
(autogen, make, make install).
I installed it on host which worked fine with a previous version. However,
now the libvirtd is not accepting remote connections.
What has changed in this version?  Am I doing something wrong?

Details:

I brought up libvirtd in listen mode:
[root at arenal kvm1]# ps -ef | grep libvirtd
root      1443   803  0 15:34 pts/3    00:00:00 grep libvirtd?
root     32258  5093  0 15:12 pts/1    00:00:00 libvirtd --listen

I ran virsh and it works fine as long as the connection is not remote.

virsh # version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.5.1
Using library: libvir 0.5.1
Using API: QEMU 0.5.1
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.9.0

virsh # connect test:///default

virsh # connect qemu:///system

I then tried to connect to itself (the host has credentials for both client
and host).  But it fails:
virsh # connect qemu://arenal/system
libvir: error : could not connect to qemu://arenal/system
error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor

virsh # connect test://arenal/default
libvir: error : could not connect to test://arenal/default
error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor

Kenneth Nagin