[Libvir] many more translatable strings need to be marked

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Feb 29 17:17:00 UTC 2008

Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 04:54:38PM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >   But maybe we should consider those as internal errors (which I think they are)
>> > and report them as such, the string itself is probably as well left out of
>> > gettext entierely (but the error massage saying it was an internal error,
>> > that one need localization).
>>
>> I agree that it'd be nice to improve those diagnostics.
>>
>> How about if I mark the existing ones for now, with the proposed added
>> comments?  The comments can then serve as a reminder to rewrite them later.
>>
>>     /* FIXME: rewrite this diagnostic */
>>     /* TRANSLATORS: no need to translate */
>
>  Hum, how that comment for the transaltors actually shows up in their
> tools ?

xgettext copies comments marked with "TRANSLATORS:" to the *.po files.

> Honnestly I would rather avoid aving the string sent to them if we
> know they can't do anything.

Sure, we'd rather have good diagnostics everywhere, and still
be able to automatically check for unmarked diagnostics.

I've proposed a compromise that lets us defer the tedious (and
low-priority, imho) work of improving diagnostics that are unlikely to
be seen.

If that is unsatisfactory, can you propose something else?