[Libvir] RFC: PATCH 0/5: asynchronous background jobs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 10:39:25 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> There are a number of existing APIs which can benefit from
> this, hence I decided to work on this separately from the
> main storage APIs. The APIs which can make use of this are
> virDomainCreateLinux, virDomainCreate, virNetworkCreate,
> virNetworkCreateXML, virDomainSave, virDomainRestore, and
> virDomainDumpCore. For all of these we add a second variant
> postfixed with 'Job' in the name, returning a virJobPtr object

Another way to do this is to overload the domain etc. objects and make
them into suspensions.  The advantages being (a) no new API is needed
and (b) some code benefits from overlapping computation even without
being changed.  See also my reply here:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-July/msg00257.html

OTOH, suspensions require "interesting" code changes inside libvirt,
although not necessarily requiring threads - there are several possible
implementations.

Rich.