[Libvir] Re; virDomainBlockStats

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Thu Jan 17 16:44:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've a number of servers running XEN and am trying to write some code to monitor them through libvirt.
(Xeon/Dual Core/Ubuntu Gutsy/Xen 3.1)

All was going well until I got to virDomainBlockStats and it simply refused to accept my coding ..

My solution (the code now works) is to change the following;

src/stats_linux.c:

#ifndef XENVBD_MAJOR
#define XENVBD_MAJOR 3 // <--- I changed this!
/*#define XENVBD_MAJOR 202*/
#endif

device = XENVBD_MAJOR * 256 + 1 + minor /* * 16 */; <-- this too!

It now seems to give me some meaningful numbers without feeding my any error messages.
Can anyone tell me "why" I needed to do this?

I'm using "xvda" as the device path .. tried every other device name I could think of with out any good results ...

?????

tia
Gareth.