[Libvir] PATCH: const-correct sexpr

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jan 20 15:51:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:48:46PM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> I was looking at xend_internal.c and wondered why sexpr_int's
> sexpr pointer wasn't const... surely, it *can't* modify that, I thought.
> So I made it const, and pulled the thread, which ended up making most
> of the sexpr* parameters in sexpr.[ch] const.
>
> I added the few inevitable casts, but imho, that cost is far
> outweighed by having accurate prototypes for all of these functions.

I agree with the lookup/getter related functions being made const, but is
it sensible to make the constructor parms const too ? I mean these two
methods:

> -struct sexpr *sexpr_cons(struct sexpr *car, struct sexpr *cdr);
> -struct sexpr *sexpr_append(struct sexpr *lst, struct sexpr *item);
> +struct sexpr *sexpr_cons(const struct sexpr *car, const struct sexpr *cdr);
> +struct sexpr *sexpr_append(struct sexpr *lst, const struct sexpr *item);

The parameters passed in here, will be 'owned' by the resulting
non-const sexpr that is constructed. The params are not copied
during the constructor, so to my mind they should not be const.
They need to be allocated by the caller, and ownership is taken
by the new sexpr.

Regards,
Dan.