[Libvir] a vmware driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 16:38:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:23:06AM -0600, Schley Andrew Kutz wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is work being done on a VMware driver? If
> not, I could write one. I'm about to release an application via
> SearchServerVirtualization called ivi (Java Virtual Interface) that
> uses the VI SDK and the XenApi (cannot get libvirt to work on my dev
> platform - OS X) to enable management of both VMware VI3 boxes as well
> as Xen boxes. I would love to move away from the XenApi to libvirt,
> and even more so to extend libvirt to support the VI SDK.

There's probably 2 different ways to write a VMWare driver, depending on
who your target audience is.

For people using the VirtualIntrastructure stuff, there is a enourmous
management API which you talk to using RPC (there are WSDL definition
for it IIRC).

For people using VMWare Desktop / Player / GSX there is a not really any
good API. We'd have to manually read/write config files for guests in the
directory that VMWare stores them, and invoke CLI tools to stop/start.

Ultimately I think we'll need impls for both approaches becaue they are
both valid non-overlapping use cases (home users vs enterprise). AFAIK,
there's no one working on either approach, so feel free to take a stab at
it !

Regards,
Dan.